In 2018, pet parents in the US spent over $16 billion on pet supplies, not including vet care, food or other pet services.
That’s a lot! And it’s going up every year!
Our pets are so worth it, aren’t they? But with so many products out there for both pets and their people, how do you decide what to buy?
No problem. My pets and I will help you make the right choice for you and your pets.
So who am I and why do I think I can help?
Hi! My name is Dawn and I live in Northeast PA with my dogs, cats, parrots, guinea pigs and a chinchilla. I was lucky to be part of a family that loved animals and a mom who nourished that love. I grew up with a variety of pets and like any true nerd researched the heck out of them before adding to the family.
I’ve always been pet crazy!
Just how crazy?
- When I was 5, I was the lucky winner in the wishbone breaking ritual I had with my sister. My wish? I wanted a kitten. After my win, we had to go take a nap. But there was no napping for me. I was getting a kitten! I spent nap time checking out every corner of the room sure that my kitten was going to appear. Talk about disappointed!
- The library was my favorite place when I was younger. I devoured every book in the pet section of the children’s library and then moved onto the pet section in the adult library. When I exhausted those, I began walking to the library over town to go through their pet book collection. And while I was over town I would stop at the newsstand to pick up the pet magazines. Is there anything better than pets and reading?
- In college, people would comment on my dorm room. I guess it did look kind of funny with my roommate’s walls covered with posters of the all the cute guys from Tiger Beat and mine covered with puppies and kitties. What can I say?
Like most young girls, I wanted to be a veterinarian when I grew up but that dream disappeared when I started working for a vet clinic. I quickly learned being a vet means dealing with people and that wasn’t something I was good at. But that didn’t stop me from working with pets.
I’ve been lucky to work with pets and their people in a variety of ways:
- Groomer– When the vet dream was gone, I went to grooming school and ended up co-owning/operating a grooming shop with a friend in Washington.
- Veterinary Assistant/Technician– After grooming I moved back to PA and started working at a vet hospital. I do love medicine and helping animals.
- Trainer– As a member of the local dog training club, I taught classes as a volunteer trainer and also trained my own dogs for different dog sports.
- Working for an Online Pet Retailer– can you imagine working for a company that had a warehouse full of hundreds if not thousands of pet products? I was lucky enough to get a job with an online pet retailer called The Ferret Store.
That last job is the reason I started my website. I wanted to make a place where pet parents could go to find information and personal experience about products they wanted to buy for their pets.
My experience in the pet industry working with both pets and their people, as well as living with my own pets, helps me brighten and enrich the lives of pets and pet parents.
Pet Faves is more than just a review site. Oh, you will find reviews that help you make the right choice for your pet. But you’ll also find product suggestions, new products for pets and fun finds.
Some of my popular posts for pets include:
And it’s no longer just products for pets. If you are like me, you love buying pet stuff for yourself, so I share gift ideas for pet lovers and products that make life with pets easier.
Some of my popular posts for people include:
Not only do I share pet products, but I design pet-themed products that you can purchase through Amazon and Zazzle. You can find them in the Pet Faves Shop. Be sure to check back often as I’m always adding new designs.
Meet the Review Crew