Time to get into the Halloween Spirit!
Costumes. Decorations. Treats. It’s all fun. Especially the treats!
If you are a pet lover, you are probably looking for a way to add pets to the celebration.
How can you celebrate Halloween with your pets?
Luckily, there are a lot of ways to merge your love of pets with Halloween.
- Halloween costumes for your pet
- Pet-themed Halloween costumes for you and your family
- Pet-themed Halloween Decorations
- Halloween treats for your pets
Take a look at some ideas for celebrating Halloween pet-style.
Halloween Costumes for Your Pet
Isn’t this the best part of Halloween?
I love coming up with costumes for my pets whether it’s a costume for my dog or my guinea pig. Yes, even guinea pigs love to celebrate Halloween.
There are so many ideas for costumes.
Buy a costume for your pet. There are so many costume choices available and you can find them in more and more places. The usual places are pet stores, but you can also find them in department stores and if you are looking for really unique costumes, I recommend Etsy.
Make a costume for your pet. If you are feeling really crafty, make one yourself. It’s a lot of fun bringing your costume idea to life.
When choosing the costume whether you buy or make it, there are a few safety tips for dressing your pet in a Halloween costume.
- Is the costume safe? Check the costume for anything they might be able to chew off or swallow. Are there any areas that don’t fit well and could irritate your pet?
- Will the costume affect their movement? You want to make sure they can move around comfortably in their costume.
- Will it stress your pet out to wear a costume? How comfortable is your pet wearing clothing? If they aren’t used to wearing clothing, you’re going to want to take some time getting them used to wearing their costume. Or you could pick a costume that that doesn’t cover much of them.
- Will you be taking your pet out of the house in their costume? If so, you really want to review the first 3 bullet points. You definitely want to be sure to stay in your pet’s comfort level. For some pets that may mean just staying home and doing a photoshoot.
PetFaves may earn a commission from qualifying purchases made through the links in this post.
Pet Costumes for People
We can’t let pets have all the fun!
Sure. There’s always the usual witch or a ghost to dress up as. Just like everyone else. Or you could pick a fun pet-themed costume to wear instead. whether it’s for you or your kids.
Need some ideas for pet-themed costumes?
- Pick your favorite pet species. Go as a Dog, Cat, Parrot, Hedgehog.
- Dress as your favorite movie or book pet. Maybe Lady. Or the Tramp, Or maybe one of the cats from CATS.
- Pick a theme for both you and your pet to dress for. How about the Wizard of Oz and your pet is Toto? Or maybe a Harry Potter theme?
- Do couples costumes with your pet as the other half. Pair up as Fred and Wilma from the Flintstones. Or maybe a foody direction with eggs and bacon.
Pet Halloween Decorations
If costumes are the best part of Halloween, decorating for Halloween is the next best. Black cats may rule the holiday but there are ways to incorporate other pets. Have fun with inflatables, statues and hanging decorations. or maybe just add small touches like a pillow cover or knick-knacks.
Need some ideas for pet-themed decorations? Check out my faves on my Pet Halloween Decorations Etsy list or these finds on Amazon.
Pet Halloween Pumpkin Decorations
Halloween wouldn’t be Halloween without pumpkins!
Carve it, Paint it. Decorate it any way you want. Let your pet inspire your design.
No matter how you decide to do up your pumpkin there are a few things to keep in mind to keep your pet safe around your Halloween pumpkin.
- Don’t use candles. Yes, they are the traditional way to light up a jack-o’lantern, but having a flame around pets can be dangerous. They could knock the pumpkin over or even catch themselves on fire. Instead use a flameless candle or LED pumpkin lights to light up your pumpkin more safely.
- Keep it out of reach. While pumpkin is not a toxic food for pets, eating a pumpkin that has been sitting around could make them sick. Decorations such as paint or even batteries in your pumpkin light could cause problems.
Need ideas? For some pumpkin pet-spiration, visit my Pet-themed Halloween Pumpkin board on Pinterest.
Pet Halloween Treats
While costumes and decorations might be our Halloween jam, your pet would probably pick the treats as their favorite part of Halloween.
Treating your pet can be a lot of fun, but be sure to keep these things in mind to keep your pet safe-
- No people treats. Most of our Halloween treats aren’t safe for our pets. Chocolate or candy that contains xylitol can be toxic to our pets. Wrappers on treats could cause gastrointestinal issues.
- Don’t overdo it. Just like kids when they have their Halloween haul, you want to watch and limit how much your pet eats.
You could buy Halloween treats for your pets.
Or find a Halloween recipe for your pet and make your own treats. Find some great pumpkin treat recipes on my Recipes for Pets Pinterest board.
Need more Pet Halloween inspiration? Follow my Halloween- Pets Pinterest board and be sure to check out the other Pet Faves Halloween posts.
Pin to your boards!